Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Visiting the Sandstrom/Smalls

After the conference, we stayed at the home of Chris Small and Carol Sandstrom, friends of ours (originally my friends from grad school, but Joyce and I now feel that we share them) who live in Cambridge.

Here's Chris with Juliet:


And Carol, during a moment I missed, sledding with Juliet:


Their delightful daughter Harriet (who was one of Joyce's and my flowergirls at our wedding), dispensing big sister advice:


And lastly, Juliet considers her career options:


Interestingly, I find that I keep on typing "Harriet" instead of "Juliet". It probably helps that both of their names end in "et", but I suspect that there might be a tiny bit of Freudian slippage in my brain. Joyce and I had long thought that it would be wonderful to be parents of a child such as Harriet, who was preternaturally articulate as a child and remains thoughtful, wonderfully sharp, and painfully direct. I'm sure that Juliet will surprise us in her own ways. Actually, she already has.

No comments: